Wednesday, 20 March 2013

How to get a good night's sleep ...

Copyright Paul Roth 2009 Creative Commons

Parenting, work shifts, too much work, pain, difficulty breathing, caffeine, alcohol, indigestion, anxiety, grief, snoring, cramp, uncomfortable bed, noise.  There's so much that can disturb your sleep!

And once it's disturbed it can be so hard to get back into a rhythm.

My sleep has really gone down hill since becoming a mother - I'm exhausted but can't get to sleep - so I've been in search of tips that might help me drop off.

This is a list of the 35 best tips that I've found and that I am trying to put into practice ...


During the Day
  • Get up at the same time every day
  • Be sure to get enough vitamin B in diet
  • Be sure to get enough magnesium in diet
  • Be sure to get enough calcium in diet
  • Take some exercise daily, ideally outside
  • Get an energy boost from food other than sugar
  • If you need a nap, have it before 3pm
  • Avoid caffeine after midday
  • Cut down alcohol

In the Evening
  • Exercise at least 3 hours before bed time
  • Take a warm bath 
  • Enjoy a light evening mail 
  • Eat turkey for supper - tryptophan in turkey soporific
  • Drink plenty of water early in evening so you need "to go" before bed!
  • Practice yoga
  • Turn down the lights an hour before bed so body knows sleep coming soon

Just Before Bed
  • Go to bed at the same time every evening
  • Wind down for 30 minutes before bed e.g. reading
  • Have a simple routine you follow every night just before bed
  • Drink some warm milk - it is naturally soporific
  • Drink chamomile tea - also naturally soporific
  • Do some simple relaxation exercises
  • Consciously acknowledge worries and then let them go
  • Practice breathing slowly - will slow heart rate & reduce stress hormones

In the Bedroom
  • Remove all electronics - TVs, computers, phones and radios from the bedroom
  • Lightly spray room with lavender or store linen with lavender bags
  • Keep the bedroom for sleep and sex
  • Switch all the lights off
  • White noise works for babies and may help
  • Wear ear plugs to keep out noise
  • Snuggle up to a hot water bottle
  • Turn clock away from you in bed so can't keep checking time

If Can't Sleep
  • Get up and leave the bedroom when sleep won't come 
  • Keep lights dim
  • Read or relax - don't switch on the TV, radio, computer or phone

Do you struggle with sleep? What have you found helps most?

Follow Me on Pinterest

If you liked this post, you might also enjoy ...

Core strength Only skin deep Only skin deep

This post has been shared at ... Sugar Bee Crafts,  Home Stories A to Z,  The Shabby Creek Cottage,  Joyful Homemaking,  Serenity Now, The Gunny Sack, Crystal and Co, Ginger Snap Crafts, Trendy Tree House, Domesblissity, Ladybird Ln, Not Just a Housewife, Clever Chicks, Be Different Act Normal, Sumos Sweet Stuff, Keeping It Simple, Lines Across, Get Your Crafts On, A Bowlful of Lemons, Clean and Scentsible,  Delightful Order, We Are That Family, By Stephanie Lynn, Whipperberry,  More the Merrier Monday,  I Should Be Mopping the Floor,  Carolyn's Homework, Shabby Creek Cottage, 36th Avenue, Six Sisters Stuff, 52 Mantels, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Elizabeth and Co, Whatever Goes, Finding Fabulous, The Thrifty Home, Skip to My Lou, I'm An Organising Junkie

12 comments:

  1. Saw your link at Shabby Creek - thank you for sharing! These are great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been having the worst time sleeping. i think it's my bed/pillow that is the problem. thanks for these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. melatonin is my lifesaver sometimes! also i went to a memory foam mattress and pillow and looove them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this really need these tips, pinned

    Natasha @ www.serenityyou,com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great ideas. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. We also have a $50.00 Visa Gift Card Giveaway. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/03/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_19.html
    We hope to see you there.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from Mop It Up Monday. Thanks for sharing! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love using my lavender spray on my pillow and linens before I go to bed. ;o) Thanks for all of your sleeping tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you shared this! Can't wait to try. I am pinning!

    Visiting from Dukes and Duchesses Project Inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great tips! I sleep really well most nights ("like a brick!" my husband says) but he has a lot of trouble falling asleep, so I'm going to share some of these ideas with him and see if they help! Thanks so much for sharing at my party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to work on getting more sleep at night! I just seem to stay up too late! Thanks for partying with us at Time To Sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a night shifter for years, on days off, I would fall asleep to the TV thinking that if I did wake up, at least I'd have something to keep me occupied. I would inevitably wake up and not be able to get back to sleep for hours. Never did it dawn on me that the thing waking me was not necessarily my night shift routine, but the dang TV! So the best tip I can give is one you've already given. Keep the electronics OFF!!

    Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

    ReplyDelete