Wednesday 26 September 2012

A little bit of sunshine ...

The sun is not always my best friend. I have Vitiligo which destroys pigment so I burn very easily in even gentle sunshine.  But I have discovered that getting a bit of fresh air and some sunlight everyday - sunshine not always being possible in Britain! - is really important for my health.

© 2010  Lilli2de Creative Commons Licence
Sunlight is our best source of vitamin D and vitamin D is pretty powerful stuff.  I didn't realise how powerful until I discovered that my repeated bouts of flu - despite the flu jab - were probably caused by vitamin D deficiency.

I always thought that vitamin C was the thing to take for colds and flu - and it is - but apparently vitamin D totally trumps it and is even more important!

What do you like to do to enjoy the fresh air?

Note to self 
Enjoy a good 30 minutes fresh air every day

Did you know?
Lidos were built in Britain after the great flu epidemic of 1918 to help people get more vitamin D.


No comments:

Post a Comment