Friday 25 January 2013

Kicking the caffeine

Copyright Roger Price 2007 Creative Commons

Back last year, I kicked the caffeine but it has crept right back up again.  

I love to savour the flavour but hate the side effects. I can't get going in the morning with out it, am over-wired and grouchy in turn throughout the day and then unable to sleep well at night.

I know I feel calmer and happier and have more energy when I quit.  And the side effects definitely outweigh the pleasure, so I am going to cut right back down and have armed myself with some tips to help me on my way:

  1. Mix decaf half and half with the "real joe"
  2. Initially, drink decaf only after mid-day
  3. Only make a very small pot at a time
  4. Drink water, whenever tempted by coffee
  5. Be prepared for several days of cold turkey hell 
  6. Know that it's worth the pain!
  7. Go to bed early to get a good night's sleep
  8. Cut other stimulants before bed e.g. computer, alchohol
  9. Get out early for some natural light - even if just to bins! 
  10. Drink a glass of hot water & lemon juice first thing
  11. Move briskly & get heart rate going again, when tempted
  12. Drink green tea
  13. Really relax and let go of the tension
  14. Practice breathing to calm "the jitters"
  15. Walk for at least 20 minutes outside every day
  16. Find someone to cut down with me
  17. Eat some fruit first thing and mid morning and afternoon for a natural sugar boost
  18. Enjoy three balanced meals to keep energy up
  19. Work out money saved by not buying coffee shop drinks
  20. Decide what else money saved could be spent on

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying to cut out caffeine, too, because I'm definitely addicted. I've also recruited my son to help me kick the habit. He's 6, and I've told him to call me out whenever I reach for a Coke Zero.

    He's been quite vocal about it. "Don't do it, mama." His influence helped me stop talking on the phone while driving, so I figure he's a good ally to have in this battle, too.

    Good luck on cutting out caffeine. (Found your blog through Whipperberry.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list and how your quitting. I don't think I can give it up. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_22.html
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips but I'm not sure that I can give it up! I am enjoying my coffee too much! :) Thanks for sharing this at What's In The Gunny Sack!

    ReplyDelete